Falzon Powers To Phillip Island Championship Clean Sweep
- Published on 26 Feb
Privateer Daniel Falzon has made the perfect start to the 2017 Phillip Island Superbike Championship, winning all three races on his Yamaha YZF-R1.
The South Australian was in sizzling form from go-to-who after setting pole position on Friday afternoon at the Yamaha-Finance round, and then continuing his rich vein of form in the weekend races.
In the opener, Falzon defeated Glenn Allerton (Yamaha) and Honda's Bryan Staring, in race two Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha) and Robbie Budgen (Kawasaki) completed the podium; and in the two-part finale Bugden and Staring were second and third in the final classification.
While Falzon didn't put a foot wrong, it was a mixed weekend for a number of other top guns, with Josh Waters (Suzuki) forced out of race one when a stone pierced his radiator, while Maxwell and Allerton crashed out of races one and two respectively.
Falzon has a perfect 76pts in the Phillip Island Championship, with round two slated for October 6-8 and the finale from October 20-22.
Bugden is second on 54pts from defending Phillip Island champion Herfoss (47), Cru Halliday (Yamaha, 44), Maxwell (41), Mitch Levy (Yamaha, 37), Staring (36) and Allerton (35).
Meanwhile, Yamaha rider Mason Coote will take a 13-point lead into round two of the 2017 Phillip Island Supersport Championship after his 1-2-1 scorecard.
Ted Collins (Suzuki) is on 47pts from Mark Chiodo (Triumph, 44.5), Ben Burke (Yamaha, 41.5) and Ryan Taylor (41).
Chiodo started from pole position, before crashing and remounting in race one and then winning the second.
- JD Racing's Daniel Falzon smokes it up for the fans after winning round one of the ASBK JD Racing's Daniel Falzon smokes it up for the fans after winning round one of the ASBK
- JD Racing's Daniel Falzon won his first ever Superbike race in race 1 JD Racing's Daniel Falzon won his first ever Superbike race in race 1
- Mason Coote made a welcome back to racing by winning race 1 in the Supersport Mason Coote made a welcome back to racing by winning race 1 in the Supersport
- Start of race 1 Supersport 300 class Start of race 1 Supersport 300 class
- Superbike podium - Daniel Falzon (1st), Robbie Bugden (2nd), Troy Herfoss (3rd). Superbike podium - Daniel Falzon (1st), Robbie Bugden (2nd), Troy Herfoss (3rd).
- Supersport Podium - Mason Coote (1st), Ted Collins (2nd), Mark Chiodo (3rd) Supersport Podium - Mason Coote (1st), Ted Collins (2nd), Mark Chiodo (3rd)