Latest News

Rough Weekend For Simpson At Brno

Brno2015 Strip

Post his break in Australia, Olly was ready for a fierce weekend of racing at the 4th round of the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup in Brno over the weekend. The young Aussie was able to spend a few weeks training in the cold winter weather of Adelaide during the 3 week break.

Olly arrived at the circuit on the Wednesday prior to the race weekend after the long 24 hour plane flight and spending a day in the UK resting. It was dramatic change in climate, with a 36 degrees air temperature in Brno and a track temperature of 52 degrees given it is mid-way through summer.

”It was nice to be back in the warm weather”

Said Olly. 

The first 30 minute free practice started at midday on Friday. Olly used his time to run in the bike for 4 laps due to new engine parts in the bike but he found it very difficult to get up to speed and get a feel for the track so he finished the session in 18th This was not an ideal start to the weekend for Simpson.

Free practice 2 was better for Olly as he was able to get a better feel for the track and changing the setup of the bike helped however he found it very tough to do multiple laps in a row without feeling sick or exhausted. Olly was still able to finish the session in10th place.

After the practice Olly came down with illness and utilised the lead up to qualifying to rest

In the qualifying session he was able to make a better time, but could not string good laps together. Simpson qualified in 10th place. His illness forced him to leave the circuit early in much need of rest.

Race 1 on Saturday consisted of 14 laps of the huge Brno circuit. Olly was able to make a satisfactory start, passing a couple of riders before the first corner. After 3 laps he could not hang with the front group due to the illness that he had the day before. Lap by lap he took it but he barely made the race and finished in 17th position. Olly was forced to return to the medical centre and was put straight on an IV as he was completely dehydrated.

After a good night’s rest Olly felt a lot better on Sunday ready for race 2. He made a significant better start and passed a number of people around turn 1. From the first straight the bike had a problem and lost a lot of time. He rode for the next 2 laps hoping the bike would come good but it got slower so he had to come in to the pits and end the race. It was not a successful weekend. Olly is now getting treatment and will be fully fit and ready for strong results in Silverstone which is one of his favourite tracks.